Why Hire a Professional Resume Writer?
Many people who find themselves unemployed, under-employed or at a dead end job, take the approach, “why should I spend money on having someone else write my resume, I can do it myself and save the money”. It’s true, you can save some money and write your own resume, there are even free templates that can help you, but most of them are run-of-the-mill and most results are below average. In today’s job search an average resume is not good enough, it needs to be ABOVE average to get noticed. If you take a look at the actual cost of our resume services it’s an excellent investment in your future. A professional written resume without a doubt gives you better odds at getting more interviews which will assist you in landing that job quicker and putting a pay check in your wallet sooner. Another note, a professional written resume can give you more value in the job market and assist in getting you a higher starting salary which can pay off long term.
There are many aspects of a job search that can make it successful and it all starts with a well thought-out and well written resume. In our many years of experience as hiring managers we have estimated that only about 10% of the resumes we have reviewed would qualify for a possible interview; don’t put yourself in that 90% bracket.
What needs to be understood, the process for Human Resources or Hiring Manager to fill a position can be time consuming; from the time the job is posted to when an actual job offer is made can take up to 7 weeks or longer depending on the position. They post a job and in the first week they can receive hundreds of resumes for that one position. The first review a hiring manager gives to a resume is about 10-30 seconds (poor formatted resumes get even less time) then they are sorted into 3 files:
- 1. Yes Pile -These resume will get a more detailed review later after they reviewed many others, then the yes pile is sorted again moving more to the maybe Pile. The really outstanding resumes can ignite a phone call before the reader goes onto reading the next resume.
- 2. Maybe Pile – This pile is set aside and after all received resumes are reviewed for the first time and the Yes Pile has been exhausted for a candidate then the Maybe File will get a second look. In most cases this pile doesn’t get a real second look.
- 3. No Pile – We call this the graveyard Pile with no friends or relatives visiting.
Example: Last year we needed to hire an Outside Sales Rep for a company, the position was posted online (monster.com) Friday morning. When we came in Monday 467 resumes were received, by that Friday there was over 520 and we did not use a applicant tracking system to review these resumes. So you can see how the 10-30 seconds resume review actually becomes reality. We probably reviewed about 80% of the resumes and narrowed them to about 20 in the Yes Pile. We then performed phone interviews and narrowed it down to seven to call in for actual face to face interviews, followed by narrowing it down to two candidates we would want to offer the position.
The above process is when the initial resume sorting is done by a human, but today many companies and recruiters are using applicant sorting software programs to sort out the yes file. If you don’t have a right written resume with the right format, information and keywords you chances of being chosen are extremely slim.
As you’re probably aware the odds of being called for an interview are stacked against you. Starting with a professional crafted resume can change those odds to be more in your favor. We will be the first to admit that timing and luck can also assist in getting an interview. In the example above there were about 20% of the resumes not reviewed and there could have been highly qualified candidates not seen, but this is reality especially in today’s job market with so many unemployed or under employed seeking jobs.
Resume Writing Services
Hopefully you have spent some time searching CareerThinker.com and you realize that we are straight forward, here to assist you in getting to the interview and getting that job offer. As we mentioned this website is our passion and business so we want you to use our services and advice to get that job/career you desire, but if you don’t use our paid services our free advice is still very valuable.
How Our Resume Writing Services Work
As you can see we actually have real interaction with our clients to ensure we produce a winning resume.
1. Choose the resume service that fits your current career status.
2. Choose any additional services that you require.
3. Proceed to check out
- After check out you will be emailed a link to a Resume Thinker Form to complete with detailed information we need to execute your service. This form will also allow you to attach you most recent resume if you have one.
- Within one business day after you email or fax back your Thinker Form we will make arrangements for a phone consultation to review your information and ask any further questions.
4. Within 2-5 Business days after your phone consultation we will email you a draft of your new resume. Once you review it you will contact us with your approval, changes or questions you have.
5. Within one business day after you get back to us on your draft we will email you and updated draft and once your final resume is approved by you we will send you final copies in MS Word PDF and Plain Text (ASCII).